Keeping this here for reference, and for rolling applications.
Personal Care Assistant and Overnight Assistant Position
I’m a 25-year-old active and independent professional with a form of Muscular Dystrophy living in the downtown Milwaukee/Walker’s Point area. I’m seeking some awesome assistants to add to my team of caregivers! I need assistance with most aspects of my personal care, cooking, household chores, occasional cleaning, running errands, going out, driving me to work in my accessible vehicle, and other various tasks in order for me to live my life independently. I’m looking for open-minded individuals to help me live my life efficiently and have fun doing it. This is a great job for college students, people with atypical work schedules, or anyone with an open mind, to gain valuable experience while making some extra cash.
More about me: I’m a freelance writer. I’m your fairly average outspoken sarcastic twenty-something chick who occasionally gets too drunk on the weekends, but makes up for it by being pathologically independent and taking my responsibilities in life a little too seriously sometimes. My life is a mix of routine and spontaneity. My average day will always involve coffee, but is usually not average at all, so you’ll never be bored working for me. My assistants are essentially my hands and feet, so if you ever dreamed of being a limb to someone, this is your chance.
Prior caregiving experience is valued but not necessary, only the ability to learn quickly and follow directions. Many of my assistants have never worked in healthcare but have a can-do attitude. Training is provided. This is a limited part-time position as my daytime shifts are generally 1-2 hours long and can vary week by week. It’s a great job to fit between other obligations. Flexible schedules are preferred, but I may be able to coordinate around your schedule.
Currently, I am looking to fill two positions for a mixture of regular daytime shifts and overnight shifts. Overnights are set at $80/night, and mostly involve sleeping, while occasionally helping me reposition 1-2 times or assisting with other needs as they come up. This is the perfect gig for a trustworthy individual who is laid back but also can be attentive when necessary.
– Able to pass a background check
– Have reliable transportation and a valid drivers license
– Comfortable with personal care
– Must be physically fit and able to lift up to 75 lbs for transferring
– Strong communication skills
– Able to follow directions
– Must be respectful and have a positive attitude
– Must be Punctual and Reliable (sick days must be rare, though occasionally swapping shifts with other assistants is fine.)
– Comfortable with pets
– Preferably a non-smoker
– Be fun!
– Generally very flexible hours
– Valuable experience
– A fun work environment
– I’m hilarious
– The group text chat for the team is full of ridiculous gifs
– I won’t be sarcastic at all *insert sarcasm font here*
– I’ll use fun emoji’s when I text you
– You’ll probably learn after-care for tattoos, as I have a handful
– I’ll teach you how to become a coffee addict, or enable yours if you have one
– You can go to Target with me and spend your entire paycheck
– We can learn how to cook tofu together (I’m a vegetarian!)
– You can help me solve the world’s problems
– Did I mention I’m hilarious?
Most of my assistants have worked for me for years and I look forward to having you join our team!
As you can probably tell, this is not your typical home healthcare job, but if you feel you would be a good fit, please email Emily Jamar a paragraph about yourself, along with what hours you would be available by replying to this ad. All applications without these two requirements will not be considered, as I’ve decided you didn’t read this far. I look forward to hearing from you!